Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Where did the sun go ?

Still under the duvet I suspect. Soooooo dark this morning, just to add to the impending gloom of the getting closer every day winter. Don't like it one little bit.

I had a good old clear out of the country garden bed yesterday. I was surprised how easy everything came out. Very shallow roots. I was having to skirt around the Cosmos cos I really would like to see it bloom before it gets consigned to the bin (which are filling up quickly again).

The country garden is currently a quarter circle bed outside no. 1 g/h. This will shortly be squared off and edged (with stuff the very nice window man left behind) so I can sling the onions in there in nice pretty regular rows. I've got to find new homes for the two lavender bushes and honeysuckle which are currently lurking in the corner, get a couple of bags of poo and give it all a good old dig.

I've managed to avoid weeds this year, primarily cos all the growing medium was imported, but I can already see strange and wonderful unidentified seedlings going to be popping their heads through next year. My Setton onions were grown in the bath this season and did reasonably well I thought. I have a small bunch hanging in the shed which will see us through another month anyway. My selection for next year is Swift and Autumn Champion from Dobies.

I must get round to cutting that part of the hedge though so I don't have to stamp on it after the sets and have gone in. That privet gets everywhere doesn't it ?

Pulled another bunch of Autumn King carrots last night and once again, was happy with what I found. My main crop are in the half whisky barrel tub which has got to be moved to accommodate the onions so I'm pulling stuff as fast as I can to make it easier on the back when the time comes.

The Early Nantes were sown in the bath, my attempts at deterring the evil fly and keeping them raised above the flying line really does seem to have worked. Not one carrot has been ruined. Could have been beginner's luck of course.

No comments: