Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Grand Opening

Ta daaaaaaa! You have all just been cordially invited to the opening of the patio doors. They're in ! It was a glorious day yesterday, bright sunshine throughout, which was just as well as there was a huge hole in the living room for the majority of the day.

I was under strict instructions not to tidy up last night as the dust would stick to the silicone like a magnet .... so I didn't ! So double cleaning today as everything was covered with a fine layer of brick dust (including the leeks and everything else within a 20 yard radius). I gave the outside a good hose down last night but everything else will be cleaned today (it's gonna be a long one).

I'm thrilled with my doors, or should I say door. It would appear that only the right one opens. :-O Perhaps I should have been more specific lmao. (oops strike that, the OH has just showed me how to open the other door roflmao). Ah well I'm dead chuffed anyway, and the drop isn't too severe so I managed to climb out and back again to take the photo without breaking my neck ! I think we're going off on a pallet hunt today to make temporary steps. We've got a tile warehouse just round the corner, that has so far been very generous as we've got all the wood from them for the raised beds and retaining wall separating us from next door. Just hope they fit into the new car which is a bit smaller than the old one. Will just have to get smaller pallets!

No. 2 workie also builds decking, so measurements have been taken and a quote requested.

Yesterday also saw the front (rock hard) border being dug over and is now plantable so I cleaned off my bulbs and semi-sorted them into obvious daffodils and ...... the rest. The rest being crocus, chionodoxa, bluebells, snowdrops and muscari. I think I can ID the crocus but everything else will just be mixed up. They will all be planted today and then cover the whole bed with a mulch of rustic red softwood chips.

I managed to sort out the cold frame on Friday, so that's now been moved and is hinged at the front. I doubt if it's in it's final resting place yet, but for the moment it can soak up whatever rays of sunshine we do get quite happily.

I also realised yesterday that I'd been relying far too much on the rain for my watering and the outdoor toms, and mariettas were suffering. So while I was washing off the dust I gave everything a good old soak.

We had a good old sing song last night watching the last night of the Proms. We do like to wave a UJ in this house. Rule Britannia !

No comments: