Sunday, September 17, 2006

Right, now where are the onions ?

Yesterday was another day of digging, moving, composting, tidying, and washing.

The two lavender bushes, and honeysuckle, the final remaining residents of the ex wildlife flower garden were rehoused. The lavenders have gone in the front border which I can now dig down to a reasonable depth, and the honeysuckle to a pot until I can work out where I want it. I took a few cuttings of one of the lavenders and put them in the cold frame so see how they get on.


So with the aid of my big strong man, we created the edges of the onion bed from left over patio door accessories kindly donated by Mr Window man. OK, white is hardly attractive in a garden, but free is free and it won't rot !

The new corner was squared off and dug up, but that has made the bed really heavy soil again so I can see another trip to B&Q today to get some improver/manure and then it will just be a matter of waiting for the onion sets and garlic to drop through the letterbox. My garlic came to not a lot this year (planted late on a whim), so this year they're going to get a good long time sitting in the cold.

Mr Robin has disappeared for the last couple of mornings, but I've been invaded by tits on the feeders today. As much as I love my sparras, I do enjoy it when the tits return (blue and coal this morning) and yesterday a pigeon got a rare treat when I dropped one of the seed feeders ! I never put loose seed out anymore because we get flocks of pigeons pooping everywhere, so this was his one chance in a million to scrabble amongst the bark for his breakfast. Something weird is happening with the sparras today tough, whereas they usually sit in the hedge before flying onto the feeders, this morning they're sitting on the overhead cables, taking a leaf out of the tit's book maybe ? I've not seen the mog yet today, but they're obviously wary about something.

Some of the strawberry plants went into their new bed but there are still some fruiting in the other pot, so I'm going to leave it until they've finished before completing the job. The the two beds of mustard are coming along nicely and really do create a solid ground cover keeping out the weeds. The early PSB is still struggling along but not really producing very much. It's been nibbled to shred by some varmint, but I'm just going to leave it be atm, it's bed is already earmarked for the broadies next season so it won't hurt to leave it and see how far it progresses.

My slight sniffle is turning into a full blown cold now (grrrrrrrrr), am almost totally deaf in one ear which keeps ringing and popping alternatively. And I'm due to fly on Tuesday morning, so I'm less than chuffed with that.

I made a start on the small g/h. I had half the base as bark,
and half gravel (as I'd run out of gravel when I was laying it) so removed all the bark in preparation for my big bag of gravel coming on Thursday. I'll give the whole innerds a good old splash about with Jeyes fluid before putting up the bubble wrap and that will be one cosy room done for the chillis which are still ripening, slowly but surely. I'll definitely over winter at least a couple to get an early start next year to tide me through until all my new ones are ready .......... and I've got loads of new ones to try thanks to my very kinds mates on A4A. I have still to complete the Gardeners World survey for the Numex Twilight as I still haven't harvested any yet, but I've got until mid-October I think so just hope my babies hurry up and ripen before the closing date.

Totems are still producing nicely. Going to have to eat some today though as the fridge is getting full to bursting. Aubs are producing flowers like mad now, but sadly I still think it's too late to get a crop. I'll not give up on them just yet as I really can't face washing out any more pots! I have spied one wee green pepper forming in the big g/h though and am looking forward to seeing how big that gets. I wasn't religious enough in recording the sowing and labelling of the peppers but I'll start everything off in March next year and do the job properly next time.

Now I've got to attack a mountain of paperwork before allowing myself to go and play. I don't know where it all comes from, I think it must self propogate !!!

Oh yes, and the mighty Lions lost again yesterday. Now there's a shock !

No comments: