Friday, September 29, 2006

Losing the plot

Well not so much "losing" it as things are beginning to wind up now .... in some cases anyway.

I've still got the odd Gartenperle hanging from the basket, and am down to about half a dozen Totems. I've managed to collect at least 10 different varieties of toms for next year ... many thanks to all my benefactors. You know who you are, Lish, Superprout, Mum, MrsNesbitt.

The onion sets arrived from Dobies yesterday (Swift - early, Radar - late), so had a very pleasurable few hours measuring and marking out the plot, and then just arranging them into a neat grid before throwing a fleece on top of them. The sparrows obviously thought it was Christmas and spent a good hour trying to get them back out again, so now I have a (not so) intricate framework of sticks, string and cds to keep the little blighters off. It has worked so far.

The chillis just keep producing and ripening and the Musselburgh leeks, which we had for tea, are doing well. The mini leeks, in the same pot, not doing very well at all, but those in their own pot look good - just smaller.

The strawberry bed is finished but need to ask SS about mulching it. Should I or shouldn't I ? SS is queen of mulch, so she's the person to ask.

My one and only aubergine dropped off this morning. Guess it's just too damn cold for them now and when I get back from town today, they will be going in the bin. My yellow pepper is doing great though. Not huge but definitely looks like a pepper. I wonder if it will ever get to be a Yellow Pepper like it says on the label. The other plants are definitely producing fruit, but whether or not the sun will be around to do it's job for much longer is anyone's guess.

My honeysuckle has finally produced another two blooms ! Hoorah !! Trouble is the plant is bald until you get to the top of the arch, so the effect is lost lmao. I really have got to brush up on my pests and diseases because I'd really like it to do a bit better next year.

Through a couple of very nice people on A4A, I have finally identified which is which out of the blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes and I think I'm getting to grips with how to prune them next year. Being first year plants, I'm leaving well alone at the moment.

My second blueberry bush has just been delivered, so after going into town today, it will be a trip to B&Q to get soil for it.

What I am really pleased about atm is my Alstroemeria ligtu have actually germinated finally ! The instructions seemed quite complicated, in the warm/in the fridge etc etc. I sowed them on 18 July and now they look like this. I just hope they're big enough to withstand the winter. I may have to give them an extra fleece overcoat to keep them warm. I have another Alstroemeria in a pot in the garden which I think is pretty dainty, but the ones I really love are the bright scarlets and oranges. Next door has a lovely orange one which crept over our side of the fence. I may just dig a few up and move them to my front border. Enmasse they look wonderful. Am off in search for some scarlet ones.

Last but not least, for now, I gave my Prince of Denmark fuschias in the hanging basket a good haircut last week and took some cuttings which are happily rooting away in the g/h, but then I spotted all this happening today. Don't they know it's WINTER !

I suppose it does get pretty cold in Denmark.

No comments: