Sunday, June 17, 2007

Gut instinct

was to stay away from the booze on Friday night ............ I should have listened to myself!!!

Meant a whole day out of action yesterday but captured these this morning.




























Cut my first courgette from the plot yesterday, and some more peas and broad beans. For the size of the broadie plants though, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of new pods forming, so I've nipped out the tops (and steamed them) to see if that will concentrate their efforts on pod forming.

The lilies are all opening like mad, I just hope there are some left for Mum's trip up on Sunday.

All the birdies are out in force, dozens of sparrows, starlings and huge wood pigeons (huge poops too). Even saw a baby robin today, parents weren't around either but it was definitely a robin.

The squash seem to have settled in nicely and have begun to spread. The poor strawberries are being crowded out by the Red Barons. Tomatoes are not setting, boo. If I don't get at least one fruit per plant I shall be distraught.

Calendula are definitely going over now, and I thought I'd have a display all summer long. I've started saving a few heads for seeds for next season. Sweet peas have started blooming in abundance though so still have got a nice splash of colour and the aquilegia are finally putting in an appearance.

We've missed the worst of the terrible weather that has plagued the rest of the country. It's been cold and damp but certainly not flooded.

Chillies seem to be putting on a bit of a spurt at last, even the one that I've just thrown in the cold frame. Whether I'll get fruit remains to be seen.

Harvesting the Parmex carrits regularly now. Some are bigger than others, must be down to the spacing. Everything else is just poodling on nicely.

Now I feel semi human again, the plan is to get to the lottie today to finally get the leeks in and to inspect any damage caused by the weather we have had.

Happy Sunday everyone.

xx

No comments: