Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Time is just flying

and have been too pooped to update anything.

Well the long weekend started out fine. Nice weather on Saturday followed by the rain that was promised to everyone on Sunday and Monday. We've also got this bloody awful wind that freezes you as soon as you walk outside. I've had more boiling hot showers to warm me up than anything else ! Ah well, it's not like we've not got enough water.

The lily pad is swaying dangerously, but each of the long stems are secured to poles or canes so I feel fairly confident that they will get through the week unscathed.



I've been shifting stuff around the greenhouses and now have all the toms in g/h No. 1 potted up and in their final places. Have been pinching out like a mad person. It's all I can do to remember which are cordon's and which are bushes though ! Perhaps I should add that to the labels lol.


The strawberry bed is looking promising. Huge amounts of green growth, blossom and fruits starting to form.




Peas are fairly galloping away, not sure if one has bolted though (do peas bolt) as it's 3 times the size of all the others ! Plenty of pods forming. Same with the broadies, numerous pods and some quite large. Mainly on the aquathingies, but even the Green Windsors are starting to pod now and have a multitude of blooms.








I've potted up about half a dozen hanging baskets (petunia, lobelia) , which is slightly daft as I only have 4 brackets to hang them on although we got an extra one up yesterday. We half hinched the for sale post from a house up the street and put one of those metal spike things in the ground yesterday complete with extra bracket.

Aubergines are in the house still. Need potting up again as there are a mass of roots poking through the bottom of the milk bottle pots they're in. But quelle 'orror of 'orrors, I AM RUNNING OUT OF BLACK BUCKETS ! I've got about 10 left (from 50) so am going to have four Black Beauty aubs, and four Calliope in g/h No. 2 (no room in No. 1 as originally planned).

Bloody Co-op wouldn't let me have any of their buckets (they send them back up here Lishka - must be the Scottish influence). We did our shopping at Tesco's this week rather than Morrisons, but perhaps I'll have to return to the old stomping ground to see about buckets.

Lots of birdie action. Saw a magpie disappear into the hedge next door yesterday, much squalking and noise created by mummy Blackbird. I hope she managed to fight off the evil magpie before he did any damage. Just seen the silhouette of a blackbird with worms in it's mouth (looking into the light so I couldn't tell if it was Ma or Pa) so there are still babies around.

My daughter phoned yesterday to say that she had blue tits in her birdbox. Am gutted ! My box is definitely in the wrong place and it shalt be moved in the summer. I told her to keep her kitten well away from her babies, cos the parents will just get spooked and abandon the nest. And she doesn't even feed the birds. Double gutted !

Supersprout's Jersusalem Artichokes have put in an appearance at last. They just look like weed ! As I've not planted anything else in this particular patch, I'm taking it that they're they JAs.





Calendula going mad everywhere. Lemon Calendula still to be potted up. Something keeps attacking the french marigolds at ground level. Obviously Sluggy and his pals. I'm afraid to say, I've resorted to the pellets. They certainly do work, but I go on morning reconnaissance missions to collect the victims before they get eaten.


Have I said about the courgettes ? Planted out 4 under the 2 sun tunnels and they seem to be coping OK. Got one in a big pot and about another 6 to find homes for !

Beans ................ running riot all over the bedroom. I really have to do something with them and soon but they are looking healthy enough but some are about a foot long or more. I'd pinch them out but I'm having trouble actually finding the growing tip lol.













Just been out and you'd think it was winter ! Caught loads of big fat sluggies and one tried to climb over the edge of the bowl - ha ! can't get away from me ! Him and his little dead friends are now in the brown recycling container .

Ok fellow plottees ! Time for the ablutions. Catch you all later.


xx

4 comments:

Emma Jane said...

Hey MrsKP. Peas don't bolt as such as the bolting process is when something flowers and goes to seed - and this is exactly what you want your wee peas to do. I reakon in amongst your regular seed there was a stray Alderman or something - peas that can reach 6 foot tall!
All looking great. Your aubergines put mine to shame - almost tempted to stick mine in the compost heap!!
Emma Jane

MrsKP said...

Thanks for the pea tip EJ. The mutant could well be a rogue, bless it. I just hope when I pop the pods I find lovely peas and not nasty pupa ! Two of the aubs were put in black buckets yesterday. STILL sitting by the back doors so I've had to move the ones in the wee pots to the office windowsill so I'm peering out over a green trffids atm lol. I've not done anything special with them at all. Treating them a bit mean if anything. Just water when they look parched. Perhaps keeping them confined has given them the urge to push upwards ! Are yours in or out ??

xx

Anonymous said...

Hi from rainy Larbert--- some time to spare this evening so I breezed along here.

Very impressive and comprehensive all that you are growing ----- I am greatly impressed--- such variety. How do you get the time and discipline to do a blog as well?

I've been re-building bridge, pergola and arbour for so many months now that my plants are getting neglected.

I have bookmarked you and will pop in from time to time.

Best Cameron (Platty)

MrsKP said...

thanks muchly Platty ! Ah but you should see the paper diary ! it's been emtpy since the end of April. lol

Insomnia, a partner that likes poker, a hatred of all things housework, an obsessive compulsive nature and an absentee growned up only child leaves me plenty of time with my new love .... the garden ! I was supposed to scale down after last years over indulgences. Oops !

Glad you popped in.

MrsKP
xxx