Tuesday, May 15, 2007

OOH ! Exciting !

Got a letter from the secretary of the allotment site last night. Was I still interested ? Does a bear cr@p in the woods ??

So phoned Mr Sec today and was taken to see three sites. Two really big but incredibly overgrown and strewn with rubbish. I didn't even have to look at the OH to know what he thought about them. But there's one, relatively small (about a 1/4 plot I guess), not terribly overgrown, nothing that a good weekend wouldn't sort out. Right next to the Committee Hut which is only used once a month and I could get free use of. At least if it started pishing down, I would have somewhere to run. Ah, no loos ......... but I guess I do have the Committee Hut ! Loos are something they're looking at shortly. Only problem is a small matter of flooding in the winter. Didn't exactly imagine a paddy field in my first year ! But like Mr Sec says (and he's in the next plot and also get's flooding but copes with it) you're not up there much over the winter !

I really don't know if I've got the longevity to take on a huge plot, especially one that is in a huge need of sorting out first. So I'm going to see what my mates think over on A4A http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,31644.0
and then decide in the morning having gone to bed reading The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely falling asleep thinking of nice neat oblong beds with lovely straw paths and blooms galore.

And so to dream ......................

2 comments:

Emma Jane said...

Mrs, I reakon go with the small one. If you are thinking of moving away then it would be heartbreaking to do a years worth of work, only to give it up in a couple of years time. If you are happy still having some stuff at home, close to the kitchen, then the smaller plot sounds great, and not a lot of work!! And perfect timing for your pumpkins, corn, peas and beans! Go girl!

MrsKP said...

Cheers EJ. There's still be no firm decision even to move, just a vague waving hand in the general air, but I'd rather be able to manage, than go under ! And you're right about the heartbreaking ! If I had to leave the garden now, I'd cry because the amount of work I've put into it ! So maybe we'll keep lottie "functonal" rather than emotional lol.