Sunday, May 13, 2007

Another cold and damp day yesterday, however ...


Went and bought 5 new hanging basket brackets. Thought I better had seeing as I had 7 baskets and 2 brackets ! I kept bumping into them in the g/hs and bits kept breaking off. Two of the new ones are up meaning the fleece patrol at dusk to protect the petunias.


The poppy bed at the side of the house is starting to look like I just dumped handfuls of seed in various spots. I did try and scatter - honest !






The nasturium and freesia trough had a couple of additions yesterday (more marigolds). Some of the freesias are looking a bit wind blasted though. Unsurprising really as the side of the house is a proper wind tunnel.



The cucumbers really do look worse for wear. Still not got a clue what I'm doing with them. Think the one on the far right out of shot has keeled over already. A fair few blooms on some of the others though, so hoping for big green things.





This on the right is very odd. Found this strange flat leaved thing right in the middle of the garlic bed. There are two of them and look for all the world like the freesias ! Am going to leave them there until flowering just to see what the strange guest plant is.






The toms are in the "annexes" i.e. mini plastic greenhouses by the shed. Coming on nicely though. Do you think I can remember which is which though ? Don't be silly, that would mean me going back out and taking a look !




The whisky barrel is housing some Wodan beetroot, nasturtiums and morning glory up the back. Naturally as soon as I planted out the Morning Glory, I found another pot of them indoors ! I'll have to try and squeeze it in somewhere.





Here are two of the courgettes (All Green Bush I think) that have made their way to the border already. I keep a sun tunnel cloche over them at night. Out of the three varieties sown (All Green Bush, Astia, Defender), I only seem to be able to find AGB ! Strange one that lol.






All the aubergines are now potted up into their black buckets, but I'm still keeping them inside the house until the temperature outside gets turned up a bit. I ended up giving a way a box of excess of requirements goodies to a very nice lady on freeshare for her retired dad that's just started to grow his own. I feel better for the fact that they'll grow on to maturity rather than going on the compost heap.





Planted out some more calendula and french marigolds around the bases of the fruit trees, only to find out that the marigolds are half-hardy ! Ah well, let's hope for no frost eh as I've nearly got through my tray of spares now. One of Mum's "brown" marigolds has flowered. Not very brown imho, something to be thankful for. Having searched a couple of sites, I think it's either Tagetes patula Durango Red http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/6726/1 or Tagetes patula Scarlet Sophie http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/1513/1
A bit hard to tell at this stage but if anyone can ID it from this tiny pic, please do give me a clue!
Still more different blooms coming on 4P's calendula. Amazing how many different kinds all from one seed saving. This one is far more blousy than it's predecessors. Still lovelys though. I'm so glad that I've tried calendula this year. They will definitely be on my must grow list in future.



Planted up loads of RDM55's fuschias, which also have the fleece protection thingy at night. Just running out of room in the g/h. There's three different varieties in this pot, will have to dig out some names.



At least the sun has shown it's face this morning, so I've taken off all the fleece and hope that some of the warmth will reach the babies.

Slug despatching still continues apace. Watching one drown in beer is strangely satisfying !

Laters pals.

1 comment:

Ziggywigs said...

Gosh Mrs KP you are well ahead of me...hope to get caught up in the next week though. I've still to do my hanging baskets but have the plants being hardened off. Hope you're getting some sun to help it all along.