Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pretty, oh so pretty


My Cox's Orange Pippen blossom.

The temperature out on the plot was 120oF+ yesterday afternoon when I got in from work. I'm sure the thing isn't working properly !

Things certainly needed a water though, so I gave all the toms in pots a couple of litres plus a bit of a feed. Probably didn't have to considering they've only just been potted up but thought I'd treat them. Hopefully this isn't a cue for instant death !

Seeds sprouting everywhere in the beds ...... cornflowers, poppies etc. The calendulas are blooming regularly and often and I planted out 4 courgettes (under sun tunnels). the leaves on the one's I've potted up have grown quite large so they obviously enjoy some leg room.

Bean triffids all over the spare room window sill but I'm a bit feart to chuck them in the ground just yet, so they'll have to stay in their root trainers for a bit longer yet.

Planted up 3 hanging basket/bag creations with petunias and lobelia. These petunias were from plug plants, but I've another tray that are home sown still to plant. The lobelia was home sown, but I often wonder if it's worth it. They're just so fiddly but I guess in modules, they're just the right size for hanging basket holes.

My new Morning Glory babies nearly shrivelled and died on me when I took their plastic lid off ! I suppose they were in direct sunlight through the patio doors, so immediately moved them out of the glare and they've recovered this morning. Sporadic germination of MGs. Sowed three varieties, but threw them in all together so will be interesting to see which variety(s) were(n't) successful.

I've got a couple of flowers on my cukes !!!!!! Strange to say the least as the plants themselves look rather worse for wear. I'm not at all confident with cukes. Killed the one that weedbusta gave me last year and think I've scorched some past the point of no return this year. I've no idea where I'm going to put them though. My original plan of in the big g/h with the toms is a no brainer now as the toms have taken over ! They're both outdoor varieties (Marketmore, Masterpiece), so I might just chance them in a pot and see what happens.

Looking forward to another roasting day today.

Enjoy !

xx

No comments: