Saturday, March 10, 2007

Today Part 2

Potted up a tray of brown marigolds and there were over 30 ! I'm running out of 3" pots FAST.

Weeded the strawb bed and found loads of Red Baron onions starting to sprout. I think I read somewhere that they were good companions (I hope) and I've got another 70 Red Barons to find a home for. I found loads of worms in that bed so I was very careful not to chop any up !

The over wintered onions really aren't putting on the spurt that I had hoped they would. The garlic in that bed really are doing well, but the onions are still looking a bit straggly. If they don't come to much by the time I get back from London, early April, I'll bung the new ones in there to fill in the gaps.

Had a good old clear out of the shed which had exploded again ! MORE washing of pots and trays (does it never end ?), took some of the insulation off the g/hs and LO ! there was light ! Am trying to move everything from the big one to the little one so I can give the big one a good scrub. Trouble is, I refilled the staging with the marigolds ! lol

Green Windsor broad beans are starting to poke through, as are the beetroot sown last weekend. Put loads of the calendula and pots of lilies in the resurrected cold frame but must keep an eye out for the slugs in there. Mr Sluggy has already got at my sage which was in the g/h. Wee swine ! Will read more tonight about pruning the fruit bushes and do that tomorrow.

I've grown two Potentilla "Monarchs Velvet" from seed and they look fairly hardy now so I'm going to put them in tomorrow, fleece at the ready in case it gets too cold when they've only just gone in.

I'm supposed to be doing some homework for work this weekend, but playing in the garden is a much nicer way to spend a day !

Hope you all had fun !

No comments: