Monday, March 05, 2007

A heavy night on Friday !

And boy was I suffering on Saturday ! Still, I managed to get outside and clear the cobwebs in the afternoon.

Planted out my autumn sown BBs (which was rather silly as I've now looked at the forecast for the next few days and strong winds have been predicted). However, poking my nose through the curtains reveal my fleece windbreak structure still standing ! I'll go and have a closer examination when I'm dressed !

In my stupor on Saturday morning, I skidded 8 baby Tigerella toms and a couple of Aubs across the carpet ! I managed to rescue some, but have sown some replacements just incase the shock is too much for them.

My miniature daffs are coming out and I've even spotted some Muscari poking through as well as the outdoor big hyacinths.

Some Icicle radishes went in and my sowing of salad leaves in the g/h are coming along a treat. The pot of carrot Parmex are just starting to germinate and everything else is just going great guns. The calendulas that I started ages ago are quite huge now, but I'm scared to put them outside yet. Their leaves certainly are quite stinky so one or two will definitely be going in the bath and perhaps a couple in pots in the g/h to protect the toms.

I raided Lidls on Thursday and bought 15 growbags, two rolls of weed suppressant fabric and some lawn shears. Yesterday's trip to B&Q was for the carrot bath. 1 1/2 bags of multipurpose with JI, and a bag of sharp sand were all turned in together, broken up the lumps and laid over a good depth of polystyrene chips for drainage. That's all been watered and now covered until next weekend at least. I'll get the old soil thermometer in there before I take a chance. Going to do little and often and sow "sparingly" this year !

The Red Barons that I dropped on the g/h floor last week don't seem to have suffered too much, and everything is sprouting nicely. I was going to put a ring of them round the edge of the carrot bath as a belt and braces measure against the evil fly. Where the rest of them are going is anyone's guess. I've heard that Red Baron are prone to bolting though so must ask my trusty friend at work when is the best time to put them in the ground.

Buds are appearing everywhere, blueberries, goosgogs, blackcurrants ..... all are looking hopeful.

Back to the g/h, Mum's Bears Breeches which were sown last year are doing well, as are the various cuttings of things taken at New Year. It was very cold and damp over the weekend so I left the heaters on all day just to keep everything at about 40-50o.

The trays of Naughty Mariettas should really be potted on. That's a job for midweek or next weekend depending on what time I get back from work this week.

A pot of chives inside have sprouted but were covered with greenfly, so I gave them a good squish and spray ! They were one of the pots just slung at the back with "ignore" marked on them, so I'm happy that they've come up !

Oh nearly forgot the Harbinger and Gartenperle toms ! How could I ??? and I potted on a variety of chillis. Exactly what I'm going to do with ten tonne of chillis at the end of the season, is anyone's guess! Con carne anyone ????

Ah happy days !

xxx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

all of a sudden my excitement at lots and lots of tulips popping thru seems so insignificant :(

chuffed to bits tho. garden is going to be full of them. note to self, stop telling all yer mates about your love for tulips or you run out of soil. :)

MrsKP said...

Course they're not insignificant. Today tulips, tomorrow THE WORLD !

Just hope they're as pink and pretty as their Mummy !

:-)

Unknown said...

should they be pink?? only got green bits the now :(

MrsKP said...

Daft bint ! The pretty in pink bits come later ! :-)

Unknown said...

What can I say totally impressed if a tad surprised, in an impressed but surprised sort of way.

Go for it girl :-))

MrsKP said...

hidden talents ???? roflmao

makes a change eh ?

:-)