Saturday, March 10, 2007

Happenings this week

Really blustery (but dry so far) morning here. Just sitting here watching the birdies try and land on the feeders without being blown into the hedge !

This week, I threw caution to the wind and sowed another tray of calendula (two cvs but no idea what !) and another tray of Mum's brown marigolds.

All the toms are up and some might be potted on when I get outside.



The third pic down are the survivors of last weekend's disaster with the Tigerella toms. They seemed to have coped quit well through their ordeal.


The cucumbers (in the bedroom) are massive and looking really healthy, but I'm now worried about growth checks. (pics to come but the OH is still asleep and how mad would it be if it was to wake up to find me taking pics of the cukes !).

The poor old peas and broad beans that are in the ground were taking a right old
battering from the weather this week, so during a dry-ish spell after work last night, I erected a more solid frame from old g/h staging poles and joints and covered the whole thing with fleece, held in place by a million pegs and mini-clips. From where I'm sitting, the rather elaborate construction seems to have held firm overnight.

I think I forgot to tell you that I sowed a tray of Wolan F1 beet, and Moulin rouge beet last weekend, but left them in the heated g/h rather than try and germinate them inside (running out of space fast). Nothing has appeared yet, but when I had a peek under the cover of the Musselburgh pot, they had all germinated ! So cover off !

My one Busy Lizzie cutting taken from last year has been blooming for a couple of weeks now ! A lovely cerise colour. I snipped off a few buds this morning to try and conserve it's strength and beef up a bit before I plant it out ! I have a feeling it may remain a house plant !!!

My Amaryllis continues apace and is very nearly ready to bloom. I think it is a little bit later this year, according to the dates on previous pics.

The latest sowing of sweetpeas are up and will give them a few more days of being protected in the house before I move them to the g/h.

I read that I should be pruning some fruit bushes just now, so will try and do that today as well as having a weed of the strawberry bed. I found a crocus and snowdrop in there, and then loads more shoots appeared. I certainly don't remember planting a whole load of bulbs so will have a prod and poke around today and give it a bit of a clean up. Might even pot up a couple of strawb plants to bring into the g/h for an early start !

My trays of lobelia are doing better than the petunias which largely appear to have succumbed to damping off. Don't know why I bother with the wee fiddly seeds as I'm never very good at getting them off the ground. Perhaps next year I'll just bite the bullet and go for plug plants rather than trying to grow from seed.

Things are definitely happening all over the garden now and it's such fun to discover something new has appeared. There are quite a few main daffs out in the front garden and my Gardeners World tulips are up and through. Just hope they're not eaten at the base of the stems like one or two were last year.

Right, I must away and go out to play.

Have fun !

No comments: