Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I hate winter

There's still so much to do outside, but too dark in the mornings to do anything useful before work apart from open the greenhouses. Evenings aren't much better, as we seem to have had "things on" after work most of this week which meant allotmenteering has taken a back seat.

Things to report:

Onion sets are poking through. Need to raise the fleece a tad, or to create two separate fleece tunnels to give both varieties their own space.

Planting the garlic and elephant garlic. That can wait a bit though. The bed is ready just got to get out the ruler and see how much space I have/n't got !

Leeks still in pots. The big ones look a bit damp on the outside, but once you peel off a couple of layers, they look just fine. The small ones really don't seem to be getting any bigger. I guess they could double as spring onions !

Chillis still going mad in the g/h. Cayennes are ripening nicely now, so every couple of days, I pick a few more and sling them in the freezer. I had thought about doing some in oil as well. Chilli oil - yum. Numex Twilight are struggling on. Plenty of fruit struggling to ripen and still plenty of flowers, but must admit to being a bit handy with the scissors and chopping most of them off in an effort to get the fruit to a usable state.

Peppers still seem to be growing although there's no way they're going to get huge. I'll have to take a pic one of these fine days before they all drop off.

Got two trays of fuchsia cuttings on the go, one tray of my Prince of Denmark and the others lifted from grandad's garden last week to keep undercover over the winter for him (and obviously to nick a few for myself). A chappy in work is going to be showing fuschias next year so he can have a few of both as well. Any idea of the name of grandad's one ??

My home saved sweetpeas have done buggar all, but a pot of Floral Tribute Mixed are reaching for the sky in g/h No. 2. I guess I should pinch them out before they get too much taller !

Senecio greyii cuttings (ooooh get you with your botanical names) are still alive ! Some are in the g/h, some are inside. I'll see which do better. If everything goes to plan and I get to keep some of upstairs flower beds to play with next year, I was thinking of doing the whole of their front border with this stuff. I nicked the original cutting from work and it has grown pretty well over the summer. It looks pretty impressive and requires no maintenance, so even upstairs can manage that !

Little Gem lettuces beginning to actually look like lettuces now. Had to pick off loads of greenfly the other night though. I've still got them in the plastic water cups that they were sown in. If I put them in the ground the slugs will get them.

Transplanted my rosemary bush from a pot to a border last week. It looks as though it's enjoying the freedom.

Still working out where to put some early peas and broadies ! Have I mentioned that I only have a two year crop rotation atm ? Legumes and onions.

Roll on that lottie !

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog site, keep up the good work, can you please show us your crop rotation chart please, as im not sure, if it's potatoes/legumes/cabbages,then others, or what, is this correct lol,when you say that your sweet peas have done bugger all, does this mean they grow in a different was way,down words staying under ground all the time and not showing their heads at all, this could be that you placed the seed in the growing compost upside down or that they have just not germinated ha!ha!
chat later mate,lol
windy

MrsKP said...

erm ?? there is a right way up for sowing SP seeds ??? :-O I don't like loo rolls I've decided, go too mouldy ! All my home saved SPs have gone this way despite being in the leccie propogator. The brand new seeds germinated fine and are now out in the mini g/h which is in g/h No. 2 for extra protection. They are currently standing at about 3" and one full set of leaves. I've got dozens of home saved seed though, so am going to give it another bash but keep the watering to a minimum.

My rotation chart is still work in progress roflmao. didn't help that i plonked No. 1 g/h on top of two of the beds and lost them under a 4" thick layer of gravel, thus reducing the number of beds by 30% lmao. AND I've chucked all the compost from the carrot bath into the strawberry bed and garlic bed to be able to move the thing, so nothing is going be where it should be at year 2 ! Not bothering with brassicas next year unless I get the lottie. Just NO ROOM.

I might call this coming season Year 1 and start all over again. Surely one year can't hurt can it ?

MrsKP

Emma Jane said...

Wish I still had some little gems growing - they were worth their weight in lettuce during the early summer. Nice blog Mrs, nice colour!

Emma Jane

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Mrs,makes me laugh

MrsKP said...

thanks girls, i try my best :-)