Sunday, October 29, 2006

Can't resist a bargain !

There I was, minding my own business, when someone mentioned that Lidl had fruit trees in at £3.99. One tree I was going to get, just the one. So I unded up with 1 Granny Smith's, 1 Cox's Orange Pippin, 1 Bramley and 1 Cherry Stella, oh and 3 raspberry canes, and 2 gooseberry bushes. :-O

So all weekend, I've been digging and mixing thick clay with all sorts of improvers to plant up the trees and create a bed for my honeysuckle.

Coerced the OH to lay the slab pathway in g/h No. 1 and while I had all the staging out, I draped a layer of scrunched fleece over a length of washing line all down the north side to try and offer a bit of protection against the frst as I just know I'm not going to get any electric heating in there, and I've still to go and find any parrafin for the heater. I was waiting until another two for one bargain came up on an ebay greenhouse site for some bubblewrap, but if I can get away with just having one roll, all the better.

No change in the chillis and pepper, albeit there are more chillies ripening and the peppers are getting fractionally bigger. The radishes have come up, so keeping an eye on them.

Some of the fuschia cuttings seem to have taken, and most of the senecio greyii. The alstroemerias are coming along nicely, and one of the lavender cuttings is growing too big for it's propogator, I'll leave it in there until the rest catch up a bit.

A tray full of calendula officinalis has germinated nicely. Now to see if they can keep going. Out of a tray of Potentilla 'Monarchs Velvet'(Cinquefoil), I've only got two left, but they are struggling along steadily and am looking forward to seeing if they last the winter too.

The solent wight and purple wight garlic went in at last. The solent in it's own bed, the purple had to share with the onions. Still got the elephant to think about.

Man was supposed to come and do wall yesterday, but due to a pretty nasty day and him having a bit of a hard Friday night, we postponed it. Hope it's this week, cos i need to get to the long bed that runs down the centre of the two gardens, and no point doing that til he's built his wall.

The deck is just fabby, but I'm having to watch bird poo off constantly, but it's so easy with the hose. We laid another two paving slabs at the bottom of the steps to the vegetable plot, in the hope that they might stop some of the mud being trodden all across the deck.

I came over all pooped though this afternoon. No-one told my body clock that it should have given me an extra hour in bed this morning. OOh, I can feel a relapse coming on, back to the sofa I go.

No comments: