Saturday, October 21, 2006

42 days is all it took

Hi there people, sorry for the break in transmission. I blame the onset of autumn.

8 September was when I had my deck brainwave. Yesterday it was built ! The money arrived on Tuesday, big congrats to the Nationwide, lovely people. So I rang Mr Window man who duly rang his decking mate and they came to measure/discuss on Thursday night. Yesterday morning I got an early call saying because the weather was likely to be rubbish over the weekend could I leave the keys out for them to start yesterday. By the time I got back from work last night, this is what I walked out onto. I was totally overawed. It's just as wonderful as I wanted, even more impressive than I could ever have thought. No apologies to the pureists, I'm in love. As I walked out onto it, I actually laughed out loud. It was HUGE! I'm thrilled with the ballustrade, all I said to the chap was "keep it simple", and he's achieved that but with strength, and robustness (?). They didn't start until gone 9am yesterday and phoned me at 3.20pm to say they were knocking off for the day, but would be back to finish up today. I can almost forgive them trampling on some of the onions, which I'm sure will recover.

We sat out there till well after dark, just giggling. I don't want to over cram it, so will have to carefully consider how many pots I'm going to have dotted around and how I'm going to stop the chimnea throwing sparks all over it. But it does make me feel as if I'm on holiday.

Now back to the growing thingies ....... I found a ladybird in g/h No. 2 ! Obviously feeding up for winter on the Little Gem greenflies. I moved the ladybird house into the g/h and left her sitting under the fleece to munch away before she retired. She was the first one I'd seen all season, obviously the thought of a big gorge was too much for her to ignore.

The calendula officianalis for overwintering have germinated and I've slung in another trough of radishes. As a result of the deck, next door has acquired a nice size bed (which I will maintain obviously), and that will become home to the honeysuckle and some other nice smelly things so that when I walk up the steps I'll get a lovely fragrant waft.

Here are the peppers and chillis .....





Cayenne
Numex Twilight
Unknown
Yellow Pepper !
(Still getting to grips with pic layout and labelling, sorry)








































Despite it being very damp, I've got the doors wide open and am listening to the birdies waking up. I shall now go and stand on my balcony with my cuppa and soak them up before the day really starts.

More pics to follow ..... obviously. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally and utterly jealous of your beautiful decking etc!!!!!

all your plants look very healthy, that ladybirds doing a grand job, with a bit of help from you of course!

enjoy your afternoon sitting on the deck with a G & T !/shades x

Anonymous said...

Great blog....really enjoyed reading it...and your further south than i am!

Love your decking. ;-)

MrsKP said...

Thanks peeps, I always forget to look for the comments :-O Must try harder lmao