Friday, July 20, 2007

More flower pics - poppy explosion

First up we've got Evening Primrose. I grew these from seed a couple of years ago but this is the first year I've actually had any blooms. I like the way the bud starts out pale peach and then turns lemon.








Then we've got Acanthus Mollis (Bear's Breeches), seed supplied by Mum. I swear only three germinated and one didn't survive, but now a third one has grown larger than the initial two. I think it's the same plant but obviously it could be a weed !




Another one of Mum's seed sets - Love in the Mist which was sown right where the guttering overflows when it rains hard. I'm surprised anything has survived at all there. Can't wait for the buds to burst.




And now for the poppies. I've rather over crowded the bed but the only weeds that seem to be surviving is the Mare's Tale. Now there's a shock. That's Alstroemeria in the background in next door's border.





Think the yellow is the first of the Californian Poppies kind supplied by Mama and Brian. Will get out there with the camera today hopefully to find it's opened up.





I love the way the blooms fight their way out of the pod a bit like chicks hatching. No doubt there will be loads more piccies to follow unless the forecast heavy rain smashes everything to a pulp. Fingers crossed.


We're being overrun by magpies atm. Must be babies I think and they show no fear. They keep scrabbling around the base of the feeder. Monsters they may be but at least the flying rats seems to be keeping away. Swap one pest for another eh ?

I'm going to try and increase my lavender stock today, I transplanted two cuttings in the front successfully a few weeks ago and have decided to try and fill the border, easy peasy gardening. One of the mini-greenhouses is filling up with new sowings and cuttings already. Just when you think you've got clear shelves it all starts again.

The monbretia spears are just forming out the front. With that and sunrise getting later each morning, says to me that winter's on it's way lol.

Must get up to the lottie today too. This week has been a bit of a right off where hard work is concerned. I've managed to pot up a few of the Passiflora (variety unknown) but immediately I'd done so, I was told that they are thugs and need a bit of space. I shall repot today lol.

The clematis durandii buds are getting bigger and the Morning Glordy Purple Haze are blooming nicely but the Knowlians Black and Star of Yelta (SoY supplied by Georgie) have yet to arrive.

The white Muscadet Lilies are just popping but very much smaller than the first year when they were dinner plate size.

Very grim and overcast so far today but don't want to get struck by lightning so will leave the brolly at home.

cheers m'dears.

2 comments:

Emma Jane said...

Good evening Mrs. You middle Acanthus is defo a weed. I grow acanthus in my garden, and my mum and sis do and they are almost a weed for us, so I can easily recognise the 2 outer ones as being acanthus, that middle one is more like a dandelion of sorts.

Like the blog, love the pink!

Emma Jane

MrsKP said...

Thanks EJ, yip I'm inclined to agree with you. Since taking this pic, the middle one has formed some buds and it definitately ain't a Mollis !

I'm inclined to leave it where it is for the time being and see what it morphs into.

The pink was as near to purple as I could get. :-)