Friday, April 06, 2007

Time to roll my sleeves up

and get started !

Not long back from a week away leaving my babies home alone ! Everything survived, if a bit on the leggy side. It was glorious weather apparently while we were away. The bird bath was nearly empty when we returned.

All the vulnerables now to the twice daily march to/from the spare room/greenhouse but it's rather cloudy and chilly this morning, so they're sitting down by the patio doors waiting for the sun to shine before they go out to play.

Just noticed wee buds on some of my more advanced calendulas (in the g/h) and have plenty more coming on.

The gifts of home made fuschias that I took to Mum, Mamalion and Nan went down well and I still have plenty left for me.

All the Naughty Marietta marigolds are doing fine, nice sturdy little plants, but the Jolly Jesters and Mum's "brown" ones are still a bit wibbly. I'm keeping watering to a minimum and hope they'll take off once the heat is turned on !

Spent all yesterday afternoon, uncovering the borders next door and giving it a good old dig, smashing clay lumps, forking and raking. The ground almost looks friable now although my "breadcrumb" fine tilth resemble golf balls and marbles ! It really does need some improving.

The onion sets in planted a couple of weeks ago seem to have taken ok, but my overwintered ones look like they're really struggling.

Salad leaves now in a raised bed are really starting to grow. Won't be long before I can have the first cutting, and some radishes will be ready by then as well. Parmex carrots in the g/h pot are looking good, but the Early Nantes in the bath have yet to germinate.

Both types of broad beans are going great guns. Lots of blooms on the aquathingies. Now I just need a bee !

The blueberry bushes are budding well, but the raspberry canes still look like sticks ! One of the Ribena sticks has growth but not the other one (but I suppose that was planted later).

All the spring bulbs and flowering nicely, mostly in the front border. A lovely show of chinodoxa. I can see loads of new buds on one of the jasmin's from where i'm sitting which i'm pleased about as it looked quite weather ravaged over the winter. the standard hardy fuschia has plenty of green (that was the one i nearly drowned last year so i'm pleased there were no lasting damage).

The sparrows are pulling apart a hanging basket liner for nesting and this morning a blue tit looked at the bird box, but only briefly. I do hope we get some to stay.

Mr and Mrs Robin however have disappeared since our holiday. Perhaps they're in a huff with us for leaving them to their own devices.

Today I will mainly be sowing: Courgettes (All Green bush, Astia, Defender, Black Beauty), Chantenay Red Cored carrits, Hestia runner beans, Tomatoes: Santiam, San Marzano Lungo, Tumbling Tom Red) and I think I'll put sow some peas direct as the first lot of Twinkle don't look to be taking very well.

Got some Morning Glory's soaking so will sow them tomorrow.

The sky is clearing .... slowly .... so one last cuppa and then I'm off outside !

Have a good sowing weekend. Hope the sun shines for you all.

No comments: