Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tonight it's the flowers and blossom !

I thought, if I blogged in categories, it might be easier to manage, so tonight we hit some blooms !

I sadly neglected to take many pics of the spring bulbs, but here's some pics of things just arriving now.



The blueberries, as previously mentioned are really looking lovely. The pink is the
Sunshine Blue, the cream is the Chandler.



























The Cox's Orange Pippen has a lovely bud. Having read all the horror stories about growing this variety, I just hope I get a decent amount of blossom, not so worried about the fruit ! :-)








Now my thinking is that bluebells should be blue ! Otherwise it just ain't right .... but must admit these pink ones do look lovely but the blue ones are still better.











The forget-me-nots (that were sown last year) are a spectacular blue, which my camera just doesn't capture. They're quite vivid. Have sown some more this year, hoping to fill the corner.








The honeysuckle is really looking healthy, I just hope it stays that way with none of the mildew that it had last year. Certainly doesn't seem to have suffered any from a good old haircut.



The broad beans just about creep into the bloom category ! The aquathingies at the back were sown last autumn and the small ones at the front are Green Windsor (I think, can't find the packet atm). I grew those last year and was pleasantly surprised, so this year I've grown a few more !


I planted out a whole tray of Naughty Marietta marigolds along the front edge of the middle border and side bed and have got quite a few calendula in the ground now. I just hope the frost stays away long enough to let them settle in.

My good friend rdm55 from work and A4A kindly gave me two boxes of fuschias over the weekend. He is growing them to exhibit this year and has given me some of his babies. I just hope I can do them justice. I loved his shade shed, which was basically a shed with netting instead of walls/roof and his garden and the neighbours was to die for. I think it was actually big enough for a football pitch !

Right, that's the blooms done ! Tomorrow - the veg !

No comments: