Thursday, February 14, 2008

At last, a bit of action !

Got home from work early yesterday and the sun (yes, you heard it here first), the SUN, was still out, so out came the secateurs and I attacked the privet hedge that escaped a prune last autumn.

Still nowhere near completed but I felt rather virtuous that I'd actually set foot in the garden again.

Tonight was even better (if you can call another smashed greenhouse pane better). I must have missed an unsecured one during the last inspection. This time it's one of the triangular ones - goddammit, so a bit of sawing to shape will have to be done with a sheet of perspex rescued from the other battered g/h.

Still I had a good hour out there, tidying, sweeping up the smashed glass, throwing stuff in bins and a bit of a fork over of various beds. Composted some Pak Choi that had been sitting there doing nothing but feeding the slimey ones.

The soil that I'd forked, appears to have plenty of worms doing their stuff and is nowhere near as clay-like and heavy as when I first started two seasons ago, so something must be going right.

I've decided that given my limited free time for the foreseeable future, that I'm going to have to rather ungraciously decline her upstairs kind offer to look after her garden this year. So the carrot bath and compost bin will have to come over to my side of the plot and I think I've located their new homes. To be fair, her side is much improved on when I first arrived (a year earlier than her) and she'll just have to learn to mow the lawn and cut her bloody hedges herself.

I'll do her a favour and sow some nasturtiums and calendula in a month or so, and from then on she's on her own ! She's got a couple of nice shrubs now and if my forsythia cuttings raise themselves from the twigs they have become, she's got a reasonable start.

Am back off south tomorrow morning for the weekend and hope to bringing home new wheels - I've promised Mum faithfully that I'll look after her baby for her, so that will be a huge help up here as I've only managed to get to the lottie once since my return.

Mum's Primroses are blooming delightfully, but the pansies don't appear to want to know. Perhaps when the temperature rises a bit, they'll put on an energy burst. All Mum's presents are now rather special and I'd hate to see them all bite the dust. The wallflowers out in "her" side bed are a bit hit and miss as well, but they'll stay there forever and hopefully by next year there will be a lovely show.

Clouds are looming big and dark now ........ tut tut rain again ?

Cheerio for now.

No comments: