Tuesday, October 02, 2007

This week is plot week

The plot has been sadly neglected due to it's younger lottie sibling taking up all my time this year. It's had the odd afternoon here and there but pretty much told to look after itself.

As the evenings are drawing in and sunset is somewhere just before 7pm now, I can spend a couple of hours a night on the plot tidying and winding down. The weather in true style of Britishness has surprised us all, and yesterday was like a summer's day. The greenhouse got a drink, and various bits of plot got cut away and shoved in compost bags as I've run out of space in the bins.

The Naughty marietta marigolds still keep blooming though even though I've not deadheaded them in weeks. The sweetpeas have all finally been cut down and my total lack of attention to depodding means that I've got a fair few seed pods for next year (which I really must get round to sowing soon).

The pink shrub cuttings that I stole from Dad's next door neighbour have taken really well, and one or two of them are in fact in bloom. They, along with the forsythia are going to be kept in the cold frame over the winter and planted along the border (haven't decided which one yet) in Spring.
I'll get out there again tonight and do the royal tour but here are a couple of pics just for tasters. Don't ask me what variety the tomato is as I haven't a clue.

The aubs are Black Beauty although you'd never know it. I don't know if they're under ripe, over ripe, whether they've ever been ripe or if they're just protesting at being ignored, but they'll get eaten anyway. Just going to look for a ratatouille recipe now. From 8 plants this is all I got so I should be grateful for small mercies.

I gave the deck a good wash down and tidy up yesterday, but it really needs a power spray and another coating of linseed oil before the winter. Most of the fuchsias are under cover now and lots are sprouting already!

I've discovered that I love perpetual spinach. Had another lovely load last night and is definitely something that I'll grow again. I'm trying not to sow too much now as I want to try and get myself back on an even footing before all the chaos starts again next year, but I may just start another tray of PS under cover to get me through the dark winter.

The cauliflower seedlings have been moved to the greenhouse but I forgot to count how many finally came through. They're rather leggy though and need thinning as there's two or three in some cells and none in others. Fickle things.

See you later alligator.

No comments: