Friday, September 14, 2007

Rain at long last

but also accompanied by quite strong winds. Lost a Jerusalem Artichoke stem which snapped clean in half despite being roped to the decking.

Hope everything else will be grateful for the drink.

Succumbed to the lure of Morrisons and bought two more Clematis. Being a sucker for purple, I got Elsa Spath and The President. Potted them up last night before the winds hit. Don't look any worse for wear.

Turnip leaves are exploding, just hope there's some root swelling action going on down below.

Tomatoes are struggling on, picking about 10 cherries a day now. Got another small bowl of blueberries last night and if I hunted in the bush I'm sure I could find more Hestia runners.

I've been emptying the black buckets and recycling the compost, keeping it for the lottie. Also got rid of two pepper plants that were looking awfully yellow and sickly. More victims to my complete neglect of the greenhouses this year. Fuchsias are just bouncing around in the breeze as are the pansies. Must get the side border planted up soon.

More wall flowers arrives, but just as sat on as the last box. Maybe the postie just doesn't like wallflowers ! I'll be able to rescue nearly the whole box though, so I've got mum's money's worth.

xxx

No comments: