Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yesterday was better

I managed to fork over everywhere that I'd covered in horse poo last autumn. The top bed (on my side of the garden) was surprisingly workable. I thought it would be solid mud but it appears that the bags and bags of manure/compost/improver/sand that I'd worked in last year is doing it's job. I found lots of nice fat worms as well which pleased me greatly as I thought I might have frightened them off with the wee in the poo (if you get my drift).

The neighbour's borders (where I haven't paid a fortune to improve) are still heavy apart from the one wee stretch which is more or less pure compost and I moved the clay that had come out of the wee stretch to the bed at the side of the house. No mean feat when it was soaking wet. At least neighbour's path is clear now, I feel better for that.

Two Jerusalem Artichokes went in, sowed some more Peas Twinkle, Sugar Snap peas, a tray of Campanula Cashmeriana (which is now in the main bedroom "nursery"), put my Red Baron onion sets in modules as some were starting to sprout, and two bare rooted Geranium Versicolor (y no u ?) in the front border.

Had a bit of a weed in the front border as lots of grass was poking through and I spotted my first snowdrop in one of the back tubs !

I removed the plastic bags off the rosemary, white flower bush, and willow cuttings I grabbed from Mamalion and had a bit of a sort out in the g/h of things that obviously weren't doing well.

So I was quite pleased with myself. I was going to sow some toms, then decided against it reading that it was probably much too early, but then read that some other impatient soul had sowed FIVE TRAYS worth ! So I'm going to sort through the packs this morning and look for the earliest and at least get a few sown. What I'd do if all 5 trays worth came up I don't know. So it will be half a dozen seeds of a couple of varieties just in case they all germinate !

No wind to speak of as I look out of the window this morning, but wet again (no ? really ???) and last night all the cars were covered in hail so I guess it's pretty nippy out there. The heater is keeping the g/h to a nice 50o or thereabouts but I was shocked to find the max temp had risen to about 80o at least once recently. I'm not very good at keeping a daily eye on it as it's dark when I leave in the morning and dark when I get back, so I only manage to have a good old inspection at the weekend. I can't leave anything open lest the door takes off and panes fall out, so I'm trying to keep an eye on bugs and mouldy things.

Bessie mate brought round a big bag of old pop bottles and some cardboard boxes and polystyrene that was on the way to the dump, so I'll be able to give the shed a new carpet and tidy up later. Oh and I had another good wash up of pots and trays. Doesn't matter how often you do it, there's always more washing up to be done eh ?

Right, off to research toms !

2 comments:

Veggie Perin said...

Hi J
just remember that your NORTH of the border:) things are usually planted a good bit later here due to the late frosts that we get, I don't normally sow Toms till mid March and they still come away in time,hope you've a heater in your gh?, I'm moving mine to the plot, but it will be unheated so things will be off to a slower start but they will come away no prob when the ground heats up...where did you get your Ja tubers? I'd like to try them also...regards vp

MrsKP said...

Hi M ! How could I forget ! :-) A mate on A4A sent me two JA tubers, I'll ask her if there's any spares, or at least put you in touch.

xx