Saturday, January 06, 2007

Christmas has come all over again

Armed with my vouchers and Christmas cash, I toddled up to B&Q yesterday and got my g/h vent and louvres, some seed compost and found a big pile of onion sets to buy.

Now this confuses me, we all placed our orders or onion sets way back and my Radar and Swift have been in the ground for a good 6 weeks or more (did I note the date in my diary ? did I heck as like and it's far too dark to go out and read the labels atm) so what was the rush back then ? and what makes these sets any different ?

I restrained myself and bought one bag of 100 x Red Baron and I'm planning on planting them in between the Solent Wight garlic as there seems to be plenty of room.

Another thing that I'm wondering about is the strawberries. I prepared and planted out the strawbs back in the autumn as I thought that was the thing to do. Then I read in the Feb edition of GYO that you shouldn't put them out until after the frosts have passed. Well there's a whole bed of them, so i'm not likely to be potting them up and bringing them indoors and as soon as the frosts start, I'll chuck a cover over them, but all this conflicting advice leaves me scratching my head !

Anyone see Carol Klein on BBC2 last night ? How lucky are her mates ? Perfect growing soil with NO work. I think if I continued to dig for the rest of my days, my soil wouldn't look like theirs ! The OH has taped it for me so I can watch the reruns when I'm up at silly o'clock twiddling my thumbs, like now !

Bird feed barometer indicates low wind, so with a bit of luck I'll get the Red Barons in today.

Toodle pip!

4 comments:

Veggie Perin said...

Hi Kp and a happy new year to you both, hectic time as usual, glad it's all by for another year.
Re your onions; think you might be getting early(winter) onions mixed up with normal summer ones, don't know if they are more hardy varieties or not, i think you may be a little early for your red baron, I tried these last year, started them of in greenhouse to get the shoots to a decent size before planting, did not plant out til 15th april, they rooted well without the birds disturbing them....HOWEVER by mid june most of them were running to seed, with large flower stalk running thru' middle, I planted normal type at the same time (white) and had little problems with these, when asking at the allotment, most folk agree that red onions are far more prone to bolting...unless you buy the heat treated sets, hope I've not put you off...allthe Best..Veggie ps will add link to your site when I work out how, still not got a4a posting prob fixed.

MrsKP said...

Your probably right VP but they're in now and I'm not going out there to get them back ! Early spring the packet said and it certainly feels like spring, so in they went. They're in a raised bed so the ground isn't waterlogged, and I've chucked some netting over them and mulched them with the contents of my shredder. Bolting ? Isn't that when they get too hot ? No bloody chance here lol.

Re your A4A problem. Have you cleared out your cookies and temp files recently ?

The FIL is still in his sick bed so going to visit them today. Love to all. xxx

Veggie Perin said...

Yip , clean them out on regular basis, rgards to big D, he was in a really bad way last wk..poor soul

Ziggywigs said...

Hi MrsKP...sounds like you've been busy. I don't cover my strawbs as crowns like a frosting as long as ground not frozen when you planted should be ok. Should be ok. Heard we may have snow on the way too! Hey ho. Z